“And now for something entirely different…”
Join us every day this week as we explore a different way to celebrate Christmas. No gift guides, no suggestion of cool items to put on your (or a family’s members) wish list… As a matter of fact, we’re turning Christmas around by suggesting ways to gift those around you with something that most likely won’t cost you a cent.
Over the next 5 days we’ll be suggesting ways to gift those around you with acts of service (if you’re familiar with Gary Chapman’s book “The Five Love Languages“, you’ll know what I mean).
During the course of the week, we’ll help each other discover ways to serve:
- Monday – our spouse
- Tuesday – our family
- Wednesday – our church
- Thursday – our community
- Friday – the world at large!
Serving Others During the Holidays – Our Spouse
We’re starting the series this week with serving our spouse because, frankly, the marriage relationship is the heart of the home. Before the kids come, and even if kids never become part of the picture, our homes are established after each one says “I do.”
Here are a few simple ways to get started serving your spouse:
- buy or handwrite a card saying how much you love ’em…just because
- have their vehicle washed and detailed
- send random “I think you’re the best” texts for a whole week
- buy a bag of their favorite coffee or candy bar – just for them, for a treat
- give them a massage (I use a lacrosse ball on my husband’s knot-filled calves and shoulders – works like a charm!)
But the best gift you could give your man, at Christmas and throughout the year, is the gift of prayer. Last year we did a series following Stormie Omartian’s book “The Power of a Praying Wife“.
Over the course of the series, we covered our husbands in prayer concerning the areas of his work, finances, relationships, sexuality, reputation, priorities, and a host of others. Based on some of the comments we received, it was a pivotal study for some of our readers. Remember, prayer changes things, and the sweetest gift a believing wife can offer her husband is a life of intentional prayer on his behalf. Take a look at the list of topics we covered, and see if you can’t “gift” your hubby with one or two of them this Christmas season!
Hey, are you on Instagram? We’ll be continuing with this spirit of giving over there, too! If you have a visual idea for, or an example of, “the act of service as a gift” this Christmas season, share it over on Instagram and tag it #servingothersatChristmas. And don’t forget to tag us, too @patandcandy2. I can’t wait to see them 😉 !
And, of course, we’d love to hear your neat ideas in the comments – so share away! Don’t forget to check back each day this week for more ideas on giving the gift of service this Christmas!
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #159 – Who Turned Out the Lights? – August 16, 2017
- How to Assign High School Credit to Life Learning Opportunities – August 14, 2017
- Homeschool Freedom Friday – Science Fair Help! – August 11, 2017