Honesty here: every cell in my body wanted to sleep in this morning. My kids and I are working and attending our church’s VBS this week, and well, let’s just say I’m not as young as I was last time I participated in one of these… But here we are 🙂 so lets get started…
Day 7 deals with Trials and Temptation. Although we’re dealing with our husbands here, no one is exempt from being tempted. So do a bit of praying for yourself in this area today, too. Start today by asking God to “search me…and know my heart and…thoughts” (Psalm 139:23). As we confess our sins and ask Him to cleanse us, He promises that we can be in His very presence!! (Psalm 24:3-5)
Temptations are either a periodic lure 1) away from what we should be doing, or 2) towards something we know we should not be doing. Trials, on the other hand, typically last a season. They can surely wear us down, negatively impact our attitudes and approach to life, and affect our relationships with family and friends. Our marriages are not immune to the effects of trials, either.
Just a quick reminder that you don’t need to have the book “The Power of a Praying Wife” by Stormie Omartian in order to follow along, but it really does help. The workbook not only has great thought-provoking questions, but space to journal your answers in. As I was re-reading yesterday’s chapter, I saw marks and notes from when I’d last gone through this 2 years ago, yet there were totally other things that caught my eye this go-round. Really, I am frequently so grateful that God continues to stick with me through my sin, laziness and complacency…
Read Chapter 6 – “His Temptations” from PPW
Think about…ask yourself…journaling your answers is very helpful…
- Read Luke 22:40. What does Jesus speciafically direct us to do in this Scripture? Read James 1:13-15. How are we tempted? What do our own desires produce? What is the ultimate end?
- What in your life is a temptation? Write a prayer asking God to keep you from entering into anything that tempts you away from God’s perfect will for your life.
- Read Mark 14:38. Even if your husband is not habitually tempted by anything in particular, temptation is always a possibility for anyone, especially where our flesh is weakest. Does your husband have a weakness in the flesh that you feel could become a snare? If there is a person that may be becoming a temptation to him, ask the Lord to remove this individual from your husband’s life. Pray James 1:12 as a prayer over your husband, substituting his name for “the man” and all pronouns.
- Does your husband have any godly men in his life to whom he can be accountable on a regular basis? List those men below and pray that they will be a blessing to your husband. If he doesn’t have that kind of accountability, write a prayer asking God to bring godly men into his life and enable him to develop accountability relationships witht them.
- If your husband were to fall into temptation even after you have been praying, what do you think your reaction might be? What do you pray your reaction would be? Read Galatians 5:16,17 and underline it. Write a prayer asking God to help you and your husband walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
Temptation…be honest, now. Don’t you sometimes think you are beyond it? But it lies even in the most innocent places. Have you ever cloaked gossip in “sharing a prayer request”? Have you ever wanted to “give up” when it’s been hard? Have you ever taken the attitude “it’s my way or the highway”? Succumbing to temptation takes many forms…and any resulting action or thought that harms our marriage is wrong.
The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears it down. Prov 14:1 Click To Tweet
Have a blessed day, and “see you” tomorrow 🙂 I pray that the Lord will bring you both closer together as you pray for your husband this week in Spirit and truth…
In this 30 Days of Praying for Your Husband series, we will be covering the following areas: His wife, Work,Finances,Sexuality, Affections, Temptations and Trials, His Mind, Fears, Purpose, Choices, Health, Protection, Integrity, Reputation, Priorities, Relationships, Fatherhood, His Past, Attitude, Marriage, Emotions, Walk, Talk, Repentance, Deliverance, Obedience, Self-Image, Faith, Future
Interested in the going through the complete series? Find the whole study here.
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #129 – Let’s hit the ground runnin’! - January 18, 2017
- Documenting life experiences in a high school transcript - January 16, 2017
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day Resources - January 13, 2017