Happy Monday and welcome back, as we work through the book “The Power of a Praying Wife.” I am so glad you’re joining me as we pray for our husbands (or future husbands!)…
Day 6 deals with Affections. Affection, or lack thereof, can be a serious issue for many couples. Men often equate affection with sex, while women equate affection with, well, affection ;-)! But it is important to strike a balance between the two, because for one, our kids are watching. And they will pick up on the way moms and dads “should” behave towards each other by what they see at home. Also, affection can be a concrete way of showing your husband respect and tenderness, and his affectionate response to you will be a picture of The Father’s tenderness towards us.
That being said, however, we have no control over how affectionate our husbands may be towards us, but we can control our actions! Ladies, I would be remiss not to let you know that this is a truly challenging subject for me. While I am all about snuggling with the kiddos, I have to admit that I’m not always the most affectionate spouse in the world. Here’s where the accountability that I talked about in a recent post can be a help. Stormie Omartian shares a story of a couple that was able to break the strongholds of an affection-less relationship by both partners utilizing accountability partners.
The key here, as always, is that you must want to change! Ask the Lord today and in the coming weeks to change your heart of stone for a soft heart in whatever areas you may have closed off. He can do it…He can do ANYthing! 🙂
Read Chapter 5 – “His Affections” from “The Power of a Praying Wife”
Think about…ask yourself…journaling your answers is very helpful…
- Read 1 Corinthians &:3. Do you feel your husband is affectionate enough toward you? Explain. Does your husband feel you are affectionate enough toward him? Are you sure? What could you do to improve that?
- What does your husband feel is the best way for you to communicate love toward him? Ask him if you need to! Are you able to do that?
- If you have children, do you feel you and your husband have modeled for them a marriage that is filled with an abundance or lack of affection? Write a prayer asking God to help you and your husband demonstrate healthy affection toward one another so that your children will learn to do the same.
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:24. In what ways could you seek your husband’s well-being over your own?
- Is there some act of affection you could show toward your husband today that would pleasantly surprise and bless him? What is that? Are you willing to do it? Journal the results after you’ve done it!
At this point you may find yourself asking “What about me? I need prayer, too!” In the introduction of her book, Stormie Omartian reminds us that our happiness and fulfillment does not ride on whether or not our husband (ever) prays for us, it depends on our own relationship with the Lord. Yes, we need prayer, but looking to our husbands to be our dedicated prayer partner coul be a setup for failure and disappointment to you both. So seek a female prayer partner/s and dedicate a portion of each time you are able to meet to praying for your spouse. And remember: it’s OK to pray for yourself, too! The Lord knows the condition of our hearts, and when we pray for His strength and power and wisdom in order to bless those around us…well, He is faithful to give us good things!
In this 30 Days of Praying for Your Husband series, we will be covering the following areas: His wife, Work, Finances,Sexuality, Affections, Temptations and Trials, His Mind, Fears, Purpose, Choices, Health, Protection, Integrity, Reputation, Priorities, Relationships, Fatherhood, His Past, Attitude, Marriage, Emotions, Walk, Talk, Repentance, Deliverance, Obedience, Self-Image, Faith, Future
Interested in the going through the complete series? Find the whole study here.
No one should seek their own good, but the good of others. I Cor 10:24
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- Homeschool Freedom Fridays – Why I Homeschool – August 18, 2017
- Coffee and Conversation #159 – Who Turned Out the Lights? – August 16, 2017
- How to Assign High School Credit to Life Learning Opportunities – August 14, 2017