Making your own body butter is so much easier than you’d think. Sure, you can find more complicated recipes on line, but I’m all about keeping it simple. This versatile, one-main-ingredient recipe will have your skin silky smooth in no time flat. And, with this a few simple adjustments you can have a lotion that meets your needs without all the yucky chemicals or expense.
Main Ingredient (See Notes, Tips, and Variations for optional add-ins)
1 cup Coconut Oil (in solid form)
1T olive oil (use extra light if you have it to avoid the green-ish color olive oil can have)
1T Aloe Vera gel (optional, but it helps the coconut oil stay softer, even in colder temps)
Body Butter Directions
Place coconut oil in a bowl. Do NOT melt it first, or it won’t whip up well.
Using a hand held mixer, beat oil for about 5 minutes. If the body butter is the consistency you like then you’re done! If not, whip a bit longer.
Notes, tips, and variations!
* Add a few drops of Vitamin E oil for extra skin nourishment.
* For an invigorating lotion, add 5 -10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
* For a relaxing lotion, add 5 -10 drops of lavender essential oil.
* Need a chest rub during cold season? Add 5 – 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 5 – 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
* Mixing your body butter in the same container you’ll be using for storage will save time and clean up. If you’ll be using a small-mouthed jar, simply use one attachment on your mixer…it should fit right into the opening.
* Adjust the amount of coconut oil and whipping time to meet your needs.
* Keep in mind that coconut oil changes consistency based on temperature. To ensure that your body butter stays firm, store in a cool area as coconut liquifies at temps over 76º. Use within 60 days for best results.
For more great coconut oil based recipes for your health and hygiene, check out these articles:
Make Your Own Exfolliating Scrub (Only 2 Ingredients!)
And this awesome testimony about oil pulling for oral hygiene: