This video is the fourth and last video in the “Homeschool Video Challenge” hosted by Lara at EveryDay Graces. It’s been really special to be part of a wonderful group of homeschool bloggers from the iHomeschoolNetwork. I do hope you’ll take the time to watch some of the other videos in this series, and of course, head on back here every week for more Homeschool Freedom Friday videos!
Freedom Friday Takeaways
What’s my best advice to new homeschoolers? These are the “top 5” things I would, and do, tell a new homeschooler. As mentioned in the video:
- Focus on character
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
- Be flexible
- Work on routines rather than schedules
- Build and work on relationships
But (besides the fact that the video got cut off!) there are others that I neglected to add, such as:
6. Don’t compare yourself, or your kids, or your homeschool…to anyone. else!
7. Be willing to “change lanes” when things aren’t going well. All curricula don’t work for everyone, and people and situations change. It’s ok to toss something aside that doesn’t fit the bill – even if it’s mid-year. Really, it’s ok!
8. Remember: your goal is not to “teach them everything”, but rather to help them discover how they learn best… The skill of learning (yes, it IS a skill) will benefit them down the road in whatever field or career they pursue.
9. Keep it simple. As the saying goes “less is more”, and that certainly applies in this situation.
10. At the end of the day, bear in mind that things will go exactly as you expect them to go. Believing and reminding yourself daily that you’re exactly where God wants you to be will help you through the worst day you’ll ever have. Aaaand, it will spill over to your kids and the general atmosphere in your own home.
This homeschooling thing? It’s a marathon…not a sprint!
Can you think of any other words of wisdom you’d share – or you do share – with a new homeschooler? Please add it in the comments 🙂
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- 9 Ways to Celebrate
Women’s Health and Fitness Day – September 25, 2017
- Coffee and Conversation #164 – Time to Get Unstuck – September 20, 2017
- Coffee and Conversation #163 – and “100 years”… – September 13, 2017