Nothin’ says comfort like a warm bowl of homemade soup. But who wants to spend hours in the kitchen? Not me!
You either? Well, you’re gonna love this recipe. A hearty soup that requires minimal prep time and yields maximum flavor is always a winner!
Ingredients for Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 lb (give or take) ground beef (Here’s the twist: venison works just as well and it’s what you’ll usually find in my soup pot)(actually, any ground meat will do: try pork or poultry sometimes, too!)
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes WITH the juice
- 1 bag frozen soup vegetables
- water (enough to cover all of the other ingredients)
- spices to taste (garlic or garlic powder, salt, and pepper are what I normally use)
Directions for Basic Recipe
- Brown meat and drain fat.
- In a large soup pot, combine all of the above ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors are incorporated.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve with some homemade sweet cornbread!
Notes & Variations (Yay! for versatility)
It’ll add to your prep time, but you can certainly use fresh vegetables (potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, tomatoes, okra…the possibilities are endless)
Use leftover vegetables that have been stored in the freezer.
Canned vegetables will work too, but don’t usually taste as good as frozen or fresh.
This soup can be made in the morning and simmered all day. Just add water as it starts to cook down and readjust seasonings as needed.
Leftovers freeze well. You can even make a double batch to really save kitchen time on your next soup night.
Feel free to use more or less tomato sauce based on your family’s individual preference.
Can you think of any other ways to “tweak” this recipe? Almost all my friends have their own twists on this basic meal: what’s your favorite version?
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #151 – Cheap Summer Activities - June 21, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities You Can do with Your Kids that Double as Exercise - June 19, 2017
- Things I Didn’t Expect from Getting Older - May 29, 2017