I don’t know about you, but I need at least a few super quick go-to meals that I can count on when I’ve had one of “those days” or when there just isn’t enough time between activities to put a lot of effort into supper.
Meatball sandwiches definitely fall into that category. I love the versatility and the fact that it’s one of the few dishes that all my crew can agree on.
It’s quick and easy because there are only 2 main ingredients. If you have a bag of meatballs and a jar of spaghetti sauce, you’re good to go! Anything else will depend on your family’s taste preferences and what you have on hand in your pantry/frig.
Additional toppings can include black olives, shredded cheese, Parmesan cheese, chopped bell pepper, banana peppers, onion, and shredded lettuce. Of course, you’ll need bread too, but you can use hoagie rolls, hot dog buns, sub rolls, sandwich bread…whatever!
28 oz. bag frozen meatballs
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Some type of bread
Any toppings you want
- Dump meatballs into a large pot.
- Add spaghetti sauce. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Stir again.
- Reduce heat and simmer approximately 30 minutes (stirring every 5 minutes or so).
- While the meatballs are cooking, chop any veggies you’ll be using as toppings.
- Serve hot!
Notes and variations:
Feel free to add a bit of water or extra tomato sauce to the meatballs if they’re not “saucy” enough.
Use homemade meatballs for a healthier meal (although that would negate the “quick” part of the dish).
Put the meatballs and sauce (with a little extra water) in the crock pot on a low setting before you leave the house in the morning and have supper waiting for you when you get home!
Meatball sandwiches are a great option for serving a house full of hungry teenagers!
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Sharing the Joy of Reading – July 24, 2017
- Coffee and Conversation #151 – Cheap Summer Activities – June 21, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities You Can do with Your Kids that Double as Exercise – June 19, 2017