My propensity for procrastination has unfortunately resulted in today’s post being a chronicle of failure.
Here’s how the events unfolded…
Earlier this week I was looking for fun, frugal craft ideas for my daughter, Sarah. I stumbled upon loads of recipes for homemade bouncy balls.
Homemade bouncy balls?! Who knew we could make those things at home? Now, wouldn’t that be fun?!
Every recipe I found included a list of ingredients, step by step instructions, and pictures of happy kids bouncing or holding the sparkly creations they’d made with their Suzy homemaker mamas. It looked pretty easy!
Sarah was super excited! So was I…A fun, frugal craft that Sarah would enjoy making AND our sweet success could double as a blog post. How’s that for fruitful multi-tasking?
So, we headed to Wal-Mart where we happily gathered the ingredients needed for our project. If I had a lick o’ sense in my head I would have realized immediately that something was wrong with our “fun, frugal craft idea.” Why, oh why did I not consider the fact that there were pre-made bouncy balls in the bubble gum machines at the front of the store for 25¢? I can assure you that our purchases exceeded 25¢, thus negating the “frugal” part of our crafting.
Back at home, I arranged all the ingredients on the dining room table and took a picture to be used in step by step instructions for you, our dear readers.
Filled with giddy visions of the fun we’d soon be having with our very own homemade creations, we carefully followed the directions I’d copied from one of the internet sites.
It didn’t take us long at all to realize that unless the goo in the cup went through a quick chemical transformation we were not going to be taking any cute “after” pictures of our project.
The chemical transformation never occurred.
This is our finished product:
Back to the computer….Surely we’d used the wrong measurements. Nope. We had done everything exactly as instructed.
I was startin’ to get a little nervous. It was 8:00 on Thursday night and guess when Frugal Friday’s post needed to be finished?
Maybe we needed a different recipe. Yeah, that was it! Looking through different sites I found that the majority of the recipes sported the same ingredient list, but there were a few exceptions. We tried one of the exceptions.
After dutifully measuring, mixing, and rolling we were stoked to have a ball-shaped lump! With high expectations, Sarah took the perfectly rounded lump into the dining area for a test run. I cautioned her not to bounce it too hard…didn’t need any broken glass or anything.
But, alas, there was no need for caution. Our perfectly rounded lump did not bounce. At all. It thunked… *sigh*
I didn’t even bother to take a picture.
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Sharing the Joy of Reading – July 24, 2017
- Coffee and Conversation #151 – Cheap Summer Activities – June 21, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities You Can do with Your Kids that Double as Exercise – June 19, 2017