Summertime and the livin’ is easy…AND the kitchen is hot – so who wants to spends all night cooking? If the kids‘ idea of gettin’ mama out of the kitchen is a trip to Mickey D’s, but you’re not exactly craving fast food (and, honestly, who even knows what’s really in their food anyway), you’re gonna love this easy, healthier alternative to the fast-food version of a McDonalds’ Big Mac sandwich!
What you’ll need:
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- 2 T. ketchup
- 2 t. yellow mustard
- 2 T. dill pickle relish
- shredded lettuce
- tomatoes, chopped
- dill pickles, chopped
- onions, chopped
- shredded cheese to top hamburger patties
- a pound or so of hamburger, cooked and cut into bite size pieces (read to the end for some tips on how to do this part – you can probably figure it out for yourself, but just in case…)
What you do:
Combine all the sauce ingredients; cover and set in the frig for a couple of hours.
- Layer vegetables into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheese- covered hamburger.
- Pour sauce over the top of everything.
Notes and Tips
- After seasoning my hamburger (salt, pepper, garlic powder) I made 2 huge patties and cooked them on my griddle. Pattied out thin, they cooked pretty quickly with only a couple of turns.
- Subbing sweet pickle relish for the dill is yummy too!
- Feel free to omit onions or tomatoes if you don’t like them.
- Double the sauce if you want lots!
- I use fiesta blend shredded cheese, but I bet cheddar would taste great as well.
- My manly men loved this dish, but missed having bread so they wrapped their salad in a tortilla shell and everyone was happy.
- This easy Big Mac salad is a super quick idea if you’d like to invite a friend or two over for a last minute lunch – stretch your hospitality wings!
- Putting the sauce in the frig for a couple of hours before using incorporates the ingredients nicely, BUT if you’re in a hurry and didn’t plan ahead, don’t fret. It’ll be fine to let the sauce chill while the hamburger is cooking.
This post may be shared with some or all of these wonderful link parties: The Art of Homemaking Mondays, Darling Downs Diaries, A Life in Balance, Cornerstone Confessions, 3 GLOL, A Little R & R, Tuesdays with a Twist, Create With Joy, Happy and Blessed Home, Faith Along the Way, Messy Marriage, Mom’s the Word, Saving 4 Six, Creative K Kids, Hope in Every Season, Raising Homemakers, A Dish of Daily Life, Oh My Heartsie Girl, & The Princess and Her Cowboys
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #151 – Cheap Summer Activities - June 21, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities You Can do with Your Kids that Double as Exercise - June 19, 2017
- Things I Didn’t Expect from Getting Older - May 29, 2017