Most everyone knows that you can save money when you’re shopping…We know all about cutting coupons and looking for sales, but did you know that it’s possible to actually earn money while you’re shopping?
It’s true! I do it every single week!
Most of these involve apps. I know some of you may not even have a smart phone (!), but if you’re on the fence about getting “plugged in,” I think you’ll be interested to see just what you can do with it. Saving money – and now earning money – at the store has never been so easy! And who doesn’t enjoy saving, or at least getting back, some of that heard-earned moola?!
Here are a few of my favorites, along with some tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way.
How to earn money when you’re shopping brick and mortar stores:
Before you go:
1. Favado – Whether you’re a “Busy Betty,” “List-makin’ Lynn” or “Step-ahead Steph,” this app helps you prepare before you head out to the store. Discover and compare prices in over 65,000 stores nationwide, find the best deals on the items on your grocery list, store favorites and get notified when they’re on sale…really, this is a super-practical app that you will use time and again! Available for both iPhone and Android.
In the store:
2. Checkout 51: Simply download the app, check for offers for cash back on items that you’ve purchased, and upload a pic of your store receipt. When you’ve accumulated $20, request a check to be mailed. The offers change weekly so if you don’t find anything one week, you probably will the next.
3. SavingStar: This app is a lot like Checkout 51, but you’ll need to be scan barcodes in addition to uploading a picture of your receipt. Cash back is added to a PayPal, bank, or Upromise account. Payment can be requested anytime funds are greater than $5.
4. Shopkick: If you’re a heavy shopper and love trends and bargains, earn ‘kicks’ just by being yourself with Shopkick. Find participating shopping places that allow you to earn kicks with every walk-in and/or purchase and you will be able to redeem rewards with the ‘kicks.’ Use them to unlock gift cards and products you can redeem.
And, my personal favorites…
5. Ibotta: Similar to the others, but with TONS more store options (including movies, clothes, etc.) Pays through PayPal and money is available after $20. $10 sign up bonus if 1st receipt is scanned within 2 weeks. Rebates are available on much more than grocery store stuff. Some item rebates are brand specific, but you’ll find that many are for “any” brands. Items available to earn cash back change on a fairly regular basis so make sure you stay on top of it.
6. Walmart Savings Catcher – Download the app and scan the QR code (or type in receipt number and shopping date) from your Walmart receipts. The app searches grocery and drug stores in the area and if a lower price is found on any items you purchased, the difference is added to your account. You can request a payout at any time and the funds are issued in the form of an eGift card that you can use on future Walmart trips. I’m saving up points now to be used on groceries, beach towels, and sunscreen for our next beach trip!
7. Receipt Hog – Snap and submit a picture of your receipt for an entry in their monthly drawing where you can win additional coins. Accrued coins can be redeemed for either an Amazon gift card, or a payment to your Paypal account. Frequent/active participation earns you additional opportunities to collect more coins!
Maximize your earnings – When shopping at Walmart, you can use all of the above!Using apps really can help you EARN money at the grocery store these days! Click To Tweet
When you’re shopping online, you can earn money there, too:
8. Swagbucks – The sign-up process is super easy and there are several ways to earn Swagbucks that can be redeemed for gift cards for lots of stores. The quickest way to earn bucks is by, of course, shopping online. Just “activate” the store before you shop. There is a wait time of up to a couple of weeks before the bucks are credited, but you should see them pending in just a few days. Downloading Swagbucks’ search engine is a really easy way to earn–random searches will return a swagcode (usually 3 case-sensitive letters) that you type in and points are automatically added to your account. Earnings are redeemable for gift cards to TONS of stores. Whenever possible, I shop online and have items shipped to local stores for free pick-up. You can also participate in surveys for extra Swagbucks, but, for me, these are more hassle than they’re worth. I would end up spending 5-10 minutes on a pre-survey only to find out that I didn’t “qualify” for the actual survey. I don’t know what demographic they’re looking for, but apparently I don’t fit! Maybe you’ll have better luck. Either way, I am well on my way to paying for Christmas with gift cards this year!
9. Ebates – I love Ebates because it’s so simple to use. You can even install the button on your Chrome browser and make it a total no-brainer! All you do is log in to their site, move on through to shop at whatever store-site you wanted to visit, and a specific amount of cash back is automatically applied to your account. Percentages vary from store to store and there are often pretty amazing deals going on! If you do any amount of online shopping, I can’t really think of a reason you wouldn’t want to cash in this way 😉 !
10. Set up – and shop – your system! – No matter what apps you use, or in any combination, THE most important thing is to stick with your system. There will be days when you don’t earn or save much, but then you’ll have those days that you’ll want to share on Facebook, when you really rocked it! Little by little your balances will add up, and you, too, may even be able to pay for your Christmas gifts with the accumulated gift cards and earnings 🙂
Be sure to also check these other posts out:
You really can save money at the grocery store way beyond “just” using coupons these days. Are you using any apps these days to curb your bill? We’d all love to hear your own tips and tricks – digital or not – in the comments below!