Depending on what year your house was built, your closet may have the standard “one shelf and one rod”. Trying to organize a closet with this design is almost impossible. You may be able to neaten it up for a while, but eventually it will end up looking just like it did before you started working on it.
All of the storage is overhead. Even if you are able to fold clothes and store them up high eventually they will topple over and be a mess. Stacking anything is never a good idea whether it is in the kitchen or closet. When you want that one thing that is on the bottom of the stack it can be awfully frustrating trying to pull it out without causing everything on top to fall.
The goal is to have more shelves with less on them.
- If you hang shirts and pants on the same rod that you hang dresses, you will quickly discover there is wasted space underneath that is not functional.
- Usually shoes are stored in the bottom of the closet and they rarely end up in an orderly fashion.
What’s your closet looking like these days? Perhaps it’s time for a little makeover of your own!
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Kim Pittman (see all)
- 8 Tips for Organizing Your Pantry – March 6, 2017
- How to Curb Kitchen Clutter During the Holidays – December 28, 2015
- 4 Steps to Take the “Frazzle” Out of Last Minute Meal Prep – August 24, 2015