Good morning and welcome to Coffee and Conversation #141!
Did you read as a child?
When I was a little girl, it was all my mother could do to get me to put a book down!
Seriously, I LOVED to read! I have memories of (almost) whole summers spent in the air-conditioned quiet of the children’s reading room in our neighborhood library. It was only a few short blocks from our house, and I could almost get there with my eyes closed!
When I finally had children of my own, many years later, I have more wonderful memories of reading to them, too. As babies seated on my lap on our rocking chair, or curled up on the couch or among the pillows on my bed, or on a blanket outside with a cool spring breeze gently ruffling our pages, or at the beach while we dug our toes into the sand.
So of course, today – D.E.A.R. Day – is a natural holiday-of-sorts for me!
D.E.A.R. stands for “Drop Everything And Read”. Instituted by HarperCollins Publishers as a way to celebrate reading and literacy, it is celebrated annually on April 12, the birthday of Beverly Clearly. Ms Clearly, you may recall, is the creator of that wonderful literary character Ramona Quimby (heroine of the pre-teen fav “Ramona” series), who also serves as the spokesperson for D.E.A.R. Day.
Hopefully, wherever you are, it’s a beautiful spring day, and you’ll be able to get your hands on a wonderful new (to you) book to dive into. Get nice and comfy and settle down. A good book can take you places and introduce you to new friends or cultures or ideas. Better yet, read a book with a friend and you’ll be amazed at where your conversations will go!
So today, promise me this: put down the cellphone, close your laptop (after you finish reading this, of course), head over to the library or your nearest bookshelf, and get started on a tome…
I promise you won’t regret it!Celebrate D.E.A.R. Day today...with a good book and the company of someone you love! Click To Tweet
Happy D.E.A.R. Day! What book will YOU be cracking open?
Now, on to our features!
I’m doing something a little different this week. In honor of both Easter coming up this Sunday, and D.E.A.R. Day, I’m featuring last week’s shares from both of those categories! Please make sure to leave them a comment and let them know you found them here when you visit them…
- Coconut Cheesecake Easter cake – from CookingLSL
- Trinity Pie – from Marilyn’sTreats
- Holy Week Menu – from stuffedveggies
- Free Easter Envelope Seals – from WhiteHouseCrafts
- DIY Easter Egg Wreath – from FourSeasonFamily
- How to Make a Felt Bunny – from LittleGirlDesigns
- 13 Easter Activities for Kids – from LitHomeschoolMama
- Bunny Buddies – from CreatingwithKristina
- Easter Peeps Science Experiments – from OurUnschoolingJourney
- Book Review: Stepping Heavenward – from LivingOurDays
- Book Review: Shepherd, Potter, Spy and the Star Namer – from HomeschoolCoffeeBreak
- Story Time: The Whispering Rabbit – from LitHomeschoolMama (includes Easter activities)
- 2017 Book List (for mamas) – from WhyGirlsAreWeird
- Literary Musings Monday – from LivingFrugalontheRanch
- Ways To Get Free Books – from Something2Offer
- Celebrate D.E.A.R. Day Resources – from iHomeschoolNetwork
Thank you all so much for your inspiration and timely words…
Please feel free to grab our button for your site and brag about your feature!
And now let’s party…
Just a reminder…
By linking up, you’re confirming that you’ve read and agree to the following…
Link up family-friendly posts that support our site’s mission of encouraging, inspiring & informing women. Think: parenting, homeschooling, marriage, recipes, DIY, saving money, faith-building, etc. (Serious business…Link up vulgarity and it’ll be deleted.) Please feel welcome to contribute up to 3 posts!
…and then visit at least 2 other links. That’s what makes this a par-tay! Plus, it’s kinda the polite thing to do.
Linking up gives us permission to use and share your photos and blog posts (giving credit to you, of course!).
Share posts with good quality, pinnable images and be sure to link back to us in your post or on your blog. You can use the Coffee & Conversation button in your sidebar or a text link. (Your chances of being featured will greatly increase 😉 )