I have a confession to make. Whether or not you decide to buy and read “9 Traits of a Life-Giving Mom,” by Sue Detweiler, God wanted me to read this book. Totally serious…
I started perusing Mrs Detweiler’s book mainly because of the title. Hey, I’m a mom, our site is mom-related: it’s a perfect fit, right?
But as I got farther and farther into it, I realized that how she handles some of the issues she addressed speaks directly to me! Let me share a few examples…
- Chapter 5 deals with frustration, and what mother hasn’t been frustrated at times? But Sue talks about why we get frustrated (p. 47)… And to tell you the truth, the reason convicted me to true repentance.
- The chapter titled “Replacing Negativity with Kindness” was both an encouragement and exhortation to start the day on a different note with my kiddos; and I may even try the same technique with my hubby. It will require a conscious choice each day, but I am eager to see how it will bless my family!
- “Replacing Manipulation with God’s Goodness” gave me a whole new spin on the issue of “mother guilt.” I know we joke about moms being sacrificial to the ‘nth degree, and heaping guilt on our kids for a myriad of reasons. But I was impressed with the realization that I need to take a 180 on this approach to this subject. There’s much to chew on in this chapter.
- Oh, and I found the reason why I love to write, and often feel compelled to do so, in Chapter 8, “Replacing My Fear with God’s Faithfulness”!! Plus, God encouraged me by bringing to mind the many times in my life that He has helped me step out despite my fear, and some of the things that I have accomplished by doing so.
But back to the book…
I was pleasantly surprised at how it was laid out. Wondering how/where she developed the 9 traits, I discovered her framework is the Fruits of the Spirit, describing Godly traits that we can receive in exchange for those we may currently possess:
Chapter 2. Replacing My Anger with God’s Love
Chapter 4. Replacing My Anxiety with God’s Peace
Chapter 5. Replacing My Frustration with God’s Patience
Chapter 6. Replacing My Negativity with God’s Kindness
Chapter 7. Replacing My Manipulation with God’s Goodness
Chapter 8. Replacing My Fear with God’s Faithfulness
Chapter 9. Replacing My Price with God’s Gentleness
Chapter 10. Replacing My Self-Indulgence with God’s Self-Control
Each chapter is not only sprinkled with free videos and downloadable materials for encouragement, but also prefaced by a poem or prose related to the concept, and ends with a related prayer. At the end of the book, there is an accompanying Study Guide that you can use on your own, with a friend, or with a small group.
But I have to say my very favorite part, and ALONE worth the purchase the book, is Chapter 11. Life-Giving Moms Give Life. Mrs. Detweiler reviews some of the seasons of her own life and describes a few of the “good” and the “bad” during that time. As a mother of 26 years, I could identify with each one, and I found myself in tears more than once. She uses these vignettes to drive home lessons that we, if attentive and intentional, can learn after many years of motherhood. And as I read, I thought of many young mothers I know that could benefit from the wisdom she so generously shares in this chapter alone…
Whether you’re a new mother or a grandmother, or you know one, this is definitely a motherhood book that is sure to bless. It would make a great shower gift, and has a place on any mother’s nightstand!
Read more about Sue Detweiler on her website: SueDetweiler.com
You can purchase Mrs Detweiler’s book, 9 Traits of a Life-Giving Mom: Replacing My Worst with Gods Best, on Amazon.
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book to review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC Regulations. I am part of The CWA Review Crew.
This post does contain affiliate links. If you’d like more information please read our Affiliate Disclosure.
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #159 – Who Turned Out the Lights? – August 16, 2017
- How to Assign High School Credit to Life Learning Opportunities – August 14, 2017
- Homeschool Freedom Friday – Science Fair Help! – August 11, 2017