This morning I’m so excited to share some fun news with you!! Amanda over at UniquelyUnfolded, nominated us for the Blogger Recognition Award – an award that is mainly encouraging in nature, but, hey, who doesn’t appreciate a pat on the back now and then?! Thank you so much, Amanda…this has been such a fun post to put together!!
Keep reading as I highlight some other bloggers that I, too, want to encourage and perhaps introduce you to (if you don’t already know them…) 😉
Here are the rules if you are next to accept:
~ Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
~ Attach the award to the post
~ Write a post to show off your award
~ Give a brief story of how your blog started
~ Give a piece of advice or two to new bloggers
~ Select 15 other bloggers you want to give the award to. You cannot nominate yourself or the person who has nominated you.
~ Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them.
My Our Blog’s start
I love the story of how our blog started… It really began, literally, over coffee and conversations (not coincidentally the name of our weekly link party!). Candy and I both love to write, and we’d have these long convos either at her house or mine and usually we’d end them with one of us saying something like: “Man, we should blog about this stuff…” We fooled around over time with URL’s, but never did anything with them, until one morning. I checked out our favorite, which happened to still be available, and asked her if she wanted to move ahead. To my utter astonishment, she said “Sure!”, and off we went. A friend of ours helped us get the foundation started, and “the rest (as they say) is history!”. Actually, you can read more about us here, but that’s enough to whet your whistle for this post 😉
Advice for new bloggers
We’re not veteran bloggers by any means, but anyone who’s been writing for even just a few months can tell you there’s puh-lenty to be learned day-to-day! I wrote a series of posts on our first anniversary of some of the things we’d learned in our initial year, but just to highlight the biggies here:
- I’d say hosting is definitely worth it, so you don’t have to change up your URL and lose traffic when your blog takes off ;-);
- Coming up with a professional logo and site design, too. This is made immeasurably easier if you’ve really dug deep in outlining your foundation (see #1);
- Clear, sharp unique photos are another place to spend money, unless you’ve either got super photography skills or access to a photographer you can barter with…
3) Always keep your mind open to learning new skills; find leaders in blogging and your own field and pick their brains, so to speak. Listen to webinars, read their newsletters, take notes, set goals for yourself and pick a new skill and “dig in” till you’re ready to move on to the next one. Keep a notebook and look back over it occasionally and you will be amazed at how much you learn and have grown over time! Here are some bloggers I follow and 2 awesome “extras”:
- Michael Hyatt – blogging/productivity/life (an aMAzing individual!)
- Amy Andrews – great newsletter/useful blogging hacks
- Melanie Duncan – sales
- Bryan Harris (Videofruit) – building a list
- Checkout CoSchedule’s headline analyzer and Hubspot’s blog for more great tips!
This is my favorite part of the Blogger Recognition Award – coming up with my own nominations. The following ladies have been so important in my life over the past year, either because their blogs are truly inspiring, they’ve helped us learn much-needed skills, or they’ve offered encouragement or friendship to Candy and I. (Yes, another benefit to blogging is discovering and growing sweet friendships!) It is both an honor and privilege to mention these writers here, and I do hope you’ll visit their blogs. I’ve linked to each one’s “About” page, so you can “meet them” right off the bat…
Sara at SarahTitus.com
Mary at MaryanderingCreatively.com
Addi at SimplyBloggingAlong.com
Barb at ALifeinBalance.net
Sue at SizzlingTowardSixty.com
Kathy at CornerstoneConfessions.com
Rosilind at RosilindJukic.com
Beth at MessyMarriage.com
Susan at SusanBMead.com
Danielle at MySnippetsOfInspiration.com
Laurel at WalkingTowardsWisdom
Crystal at ServingJoyfully.com
Erin at TheHumbledHomemaker.com
Leslie at ForeverJoyful.com
OK, so there you have it!
Thanks once again to Amanda for nominating me/us!
We’ll be co-hosting her link party #LearningFromEachOther on Fridays here through the end of the year – hope you all enjoy that too!
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #159 – Who Turned Out the Lights? – August 16, 2017
- How to Assign High School Credit to Life Learning Opportunities – August 14, 2017
- Homeschool Freedom Friday – Science Fair Help! – August 11, 2017