In these over-planned, hustle-bustle days, don’t you sometimes feel like you don’t know if you’re coming or going? Ugh…I hate that feeling! If you’re finding yourself in that place, here are 5 easy steps to incorporate in your day that will simplify your life!
1. Have quiet time. Squeeze an extra 15-30 minutes a day into your schedule and spend some time in prayer, reading God’s word, and simply sitting quietly. It’s not always easy, but it’s always worth it. You may have to set your alarm a bit early or plan to stay up a bit later, but make it happen. It’s also a good idea to teach your little ones to have quiet time. When my kids were younger we would set a timer for 15 minutes (gradually increasing to 30) and they were told to spend that time in their room. They could work puzzles, draw, color, read books, etc., but their activity had to be calm and quiet (no electronics). It was good for them and it was good for me.
2. Create a menu for the week. An easy way to alleviate some stress in your day is to create a weekly menu. No more wondering “What in the world am I going to cook for supper tonight?” I prefer to make my menu on Sunday, but today’s not too late. Do it.
3. Declutter. I always want to be more organized, but it’s almost impossible to organize with all of my clutter. Maybe you can relate? Solution: declutter first. Spend a few minutes in each room getting rid of the unnecessary. We can work on organization next week. (Mhmmm…I wonder when “National Procrastination Week” is?)
4. Evaluate your commitments. This is a tough one because it involves other people. It’s not realistic, nor would it be very nice, to walk out on commitments you’ve made, but you really should take a long look at your schedule. Are you overbooked? What changes can you make now? What commitments can you gracefully decline in the future?
5. Enjoy the people God’s placed in your life. Maybe I’m the only one who’s guilty of not doing this, but I don’t think so. Simply put – The moments are fleeting. The years are flying. Put down the phone. Shut the laptop. Look your kids in the eye when they’re talking. Hold your husband’s hand when you’re sitting on the couch. Really listen when your friend is pouring out her heart to you. Let’s make a serious effort to really be present when we’re with those we love.
Simple changes that can simplify our lives.
What are some changes you’ve made – or need to make – in order to live more simply?
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Sharing the Joy of Reading – July 24, 2017
- Coffee and Conversation #151 – Cheap Summer Activities – June 21, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities You Can do with Your Kids that Double as Exercise – June 19, 2017