Homeschooling is so much more than just teaching the 3 R’s… As most homeschoolers can attest, it’s a way of life! Today I’ll be talking less about the “how to homeschool” issue and more about the “how to keep the home running while you school” issue. This is especially challenging to those with little ones underfoot! I vividly remember the days of having both teens and toddlers around, and having to juggle between driving to activities, managing pre-schoolers, actual teaching and trying to keep up with meals and laundry!
Heck, even with no little ones to blame it on these days, life is just sometimes too busy and rushed and, well, full, to allow me to be the domestic diva I once
was dreamed about!
And we all know that when the home fires aren’t being attended to, our home education efforts suffer as well…
Maybe you’re in a similar situation now?
Here are 5 home-related areas to take control over to help you run a successful homeschool!
Along with the tools to do so…
- Feeding your crew : meal planning/shopping/preparing – Doesn’t it seem that no matter HOW old your kids are, or how many you have, somebody is always hungry? And, at least for many of us, it’s just pretty stinkin’ hard to plan well enough so that “time to start supper” wasn’t 2 hours ago, or in the middle of a science experiment, or during play practice, or some such other inconvenient time! And don’t even get me started with keeping the pantry stocked, and what it costs!! Aargh! Last fall I went through a 10-week course offered by Erin Chase of $5 Dollar Dinners that helped me tremendously…and it can help you, too! My big takeaway was this: learning (even more) about how to save money at the grocery store while enabling me to have what I need in the pantry to make meals my family will want to eat! Planning ahead is crucial to feeding your crew healthy meals while sticking to a budget. With those loads off your mind, it’s much easier to focus on the important: your kiddos and the present moment <3! Read my review of the program here.
- Maintaining your surroundings – Is it just me, or do you have a hard time working amid clutter, too? I find it a real struggle to get anything productive done, let alone school, when there’s stuff all over the place! Who hasn’t woken up to piles of clothes in your own bedroom (or maybe on the couch or in the kids’ rooms…) and thought “Geez, I have GOT to get to that laundry today!” (And if you haven’t, would you please let me know how you do it?! We’ll be BFFs forever…) Enlisting the help of the kiddos is, of course, important for many reasons, and yet keeping track of who-does-what is sometimes its own chore! I’ve always been a fan of the printed schedule, but since so many of us are plugged-in these days, check out some suggestions I made for using technology to organize household chores here.
- Classes and lessons and activities, oh my! – What a challenge it is to keep all the schedules we have, isn’t it? I mean, even if you have little ones, you may have a co-op class or two, and when you add in the older ones, with lessons, sports, on-line classes, etc well, it can be a little hard to keep it all together sometimes. I’ve finally crossed the line and gone online, syncing my planner with my smart phone and Gmail calendar. Read my review here of Homeschool Planet, and how that tool can help YOU move into the 21st century to stay on top of your schedule!
- Building and strengthening your relationships – It’s really important to remember that just because we’re doing things together doesn’t mean we’re getting to know each other better. Take any opportunity you can to have a date with your hubby and the kids. Make sure you unplug the tech so you can really tune in to each other. Share the joy of reading together – cuddle up with the kids and/or go through a good couples devotional together. Exercise together – this can be LOTS of fun if you let it be 😉 Learn what makes each family member open up…and then plan your next move!
- Handling holidays – Please check back here on Wednesday (1/13/16) when I share with you what I do to help prevent coming unglued, and a bear to be around, during holidays or other special times with friends and family…
As noted above, during the course of the week, we’ll be adding links that will take you to posts describing the 5 areas that are super-important to keep organized so you can
maintain your sanity enjoy a successful homeschool.
And even better, other homeschool bloggers will be adding their own “5-related-posts” on various subjects that are homeschool-related. Just click on the hopscotch graphic below and find links to a myriad of those helpful tips on various other topics!
We hope you find this a fun way of getting manageably sized solutions, day by day, to pretty big challenges you may be dealing with every day! Please feel free to leave questions or comments below…and we’re looking forward to sharing even more with you 🙂
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Pat (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #133 –
Bittersweet…and back to work! - February 15, 2017
- Celebrate Presidents’ Day with a President! - February 13, 2017
- Be Encouraged with This Playlist! - February 10, 2017