In my ongoing effort to never underestimate and, as often as possible, incorporate the simple, I’ve learned that exercise doesn’t have to involve a trip to the gym. Not having the time, money, or inclination to invest in a gym membership isn’t a valid excuse for doing nothing.
There are TONS of things to do!
Here’s a quick (and by no means exhaustive) list of fun activities that’ll allow you to “get off the couch,” burn those calories (especially if you made the yummy Chocolate & Caramel Pecan Crunch recipe we posted a couple of days ago) and enjoy some quality time with your kiddos.
4. Dance. I’m rhythmically challenged so this one is especially fun for us. My daughter is continually cracking up while reminding my over-thinking, analytical self to “Stop thinking so hard. Just dance!”
5. Go swimming. This one’s my favorite! Burning calories while having fun with the kids AND without breaking a sweat…yeah, that makes me happy. Whether it’s laps or Marco Polo or another game, it’s all good!
6. Play backyard games. You remember them…chase, ring-around-the-rosie, monkey-in-the-middle, freeze tag, hide and go seek, and the list goes on…
8. Build a backyard obstacle course. It’s easier than you think and there’s lots of room for creativity.
9. Jump rope. This one’s self-explanatory, but I would add a word of caution to our
older more mature readers: Go pee before you start jumping. (Don’t ask me how I know ’cause I probably won’t tell you.)
10. Play a game of ultimate frisbee. This ain’t your grandma’s version of frisbee! Check out the rules and how to play the game here. Of course, you can always fudge the rules a bit to make it work for your crew if you have younger kids and less than the needed number of players, but you’ll still be working up a sweat.
We’d love to hear your fun ideas for staying active with your kids. Feel free to share them in the comments section!
You might be interested in these posts, too!
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Coffee and Conversation #151 – Cheap Summer Activities - June 21, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities You Can do with Your Kids that Double as Exercise - June 19, 2017
- Things I Didn’t Expect from Getting Older - May 29, 2017